May 11, 2016
- Mrs. Handrahan will be taking orders for grade nine grad shirts for any students that are interested. Orders will be taken before homeroom from now until May 13, and payment is required to place an order. Prices are as follows : T’Shirt $20, Hoodie $32, Hoodie with name on sleeve $36
- Any students in grade 7 and 8 interested in leadership for next year please see Mrs. Gorrill for an application. Applications are due May 27, 2016
- Any Grade 9 Students who want a baby picture in the yearbook can submit them to your homeroom teachers in an envelope with your name on it by Friday May 13, 2016
- 8A will have Language Art period 3
- Girls A Football team played 2 great games last night unfortunately they both came out at a loss congrats to Sakiera Jesso for setting our first ever touch down!
- Wednesday May 11th
3:50-4:20 – Flag Football – Girls AA vs.Packers @ Summerside
4:35-5:15 – Flag Football – Girls AA vs Dolphins @ Summerside
Flag Football – Boys AA vs.Giants @ Summerside
5:20-6:00 – Flag Football – Boys AA vs. KISH @ Summerside
- 6:05-6:45 – Flag Football -Girls AA vs Englewood @ Summerside
- Thursday May 12th
- 4:00 – Girls softball home vs MEC2 @ O’Leary Field
“Art After Dark”Hernewood style
Sponsored by PEI Home and School Federation and the West Prince Arts Council.
May 25th @ 6 pm at Hernewood join Lynn Gaudet, artist, for an evening of step by step painting. This is a free event and part of a parent engagement grant and students are encouraged to sign up with a parent/guardian to participate.
Coming this Summer…Athletes in Action Basketball Camp
When: July 18 – 22, 2016
Where: Ecole Pierre-Chiasson (140 Deblois Rd.)
Time: 8:45 AM – 3:00 PM daily
Age: Grade 5 – 12
Cost: $110.00 per camper
Sponsored by the Elmsdale Church of the Nazarene
Find out more at athletesinaction.com/basketball/camps/ or contact Lori Neufeld at 902-853-2636
May 2016 Home and School News Update
- Nominate a School Bus Driver
Nominate a school bus driver for the 2016 School Bus Driver of the Year Award. Submit to the PEI Home and School Federation by deadline: Friday, May 13, 2016. More details at: http://peihsf.ca/bus_driver_award
- Welcome to Kindergarten (WTK) / SMARTSaver
Dates/ times for WTK sessions are outlined on the English Language School Board’s website at: http://www.gov.pe.ca/edu/elsb/parents_students/wtk-sessions/
SMARTSaver information cards are given to parents across Canada to help save for higher education. Find details at: http://www.thelearningpartnership.ca/news/tlp-supports-smartsaver-to-help-families-save-for-higher-education
- English Language School Board
The next school board of trustees’ meeting will be held Tuesday, May 24, 2016, 7:30 p.m., Stratford school board office. Find details here: http://www.gov.pe.ca/edu/elsb/board_of_trustees/school-board-meetings/
- District Advisory Council Meeting Highlights
District Advisory Councils are completing their second round of meetings. Check the department’s website for meeting highlights at: http://www.gov.pe.ca/eecd/DAC#agenda
- 2016-2017 School Calendar
You can download the 2016-2017 School Calendar from the Education, Early Learning and Culture department’s website at: http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/eelccalendar16.pdf
Other community news…
- Canadian Atlas of Child and Youth Injury Prevention
This portal http://injuryevidence.ca/has a tremendous amount of resources and data on injury. It is searchable by many variables including region, type of injury, etc. It took many years to develop and will be sustained by the Parachute organization: http://www.parachutecanada.org/ .
- Annual Write for a Better World, World Literacy Canada: Calling all writers in grades 5 to 8: fight for literacy and get published with World Literacy Canada! The annual Write for A Better World contest is back with the prompt to write a 400 word story about looking at yourself through another person’s perspective.
More details at: http://www.worldlit.ca/canada-programs/write-for-a-better-world/
- May 2016 is Census Month – Statistics Canada developed a Community Supporter Toolkit to provide citizens with helpful tools to fill out the 2016 Census Form.
Click here for more: http://www.census.gc.ca/ccr16b/ccr16b_001-eng.html